Thursday, July 18, 2013

house of gold

     I am a momma's boy. this means I am also a grandma's boy.


     I went to go visit my grandma for the first time in 6 years this week. when I saw her I told her that she never gets old. and to me she doesn't, she always looks the same... like when I used to come with my family and she would make me fried potatoes on the stove top.

     when the time came for  us to leave, she looks at me and says something that I didn't react to after she said it... but I have been thinking about it ever since.

     she looks at me with all sincerity and says that if she doesn't see me again that she will find me in the afterlife.

     this is a loaded statement. it's a comment on how I never go over there and at the same time something super sweet that a grandma tells her grandson to make him feel better about the fact that people die.

     when I was a boy, life was so easy and cheerful.

the truth is that it wasn't. however, you don't find out the truth until you grow up... and those times I had, in the place I thought I knew, had all changed while I had my back turned for all those years... all those grains of time being blown away by the slight wind I had come to trust as a comforting embrace when I needed it.

     I would never go down to the shipyard with my grandpa and play in the boat landing, or have fun with my uncles the way you do when you're a kid, and when I saw my grandma she told me that she would still look for me in the afterlife.

     I waited until now to think about it. now i'm fighting these tears...

I've got no more for now.







No comments:

Post a Comment